Re: Multi-threaded gdb?

Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:08:37 +0100

"E. Kevin Hall" <bjhall@neptune.ultranet.com> writes:
>I was speaking with an aquaintance who informed me that the linux
>port of what might be considered a landmark commerical application
>for linux is hanging on whether he can get the code ported from
>win32s. This of course, requires a debugger(gdb) that can handle
>threads. However, as far as he knows, no such beast exists though one
>was supposedly "in the making".

If you use a clone() based threads library then I believe that an unmodified
gdb can debug threads, although I think you need to attach to a particular
thread to control it with gdb(). This is a nice side effect of the fact
that threads and processes are all just context of execution in linux.
You might want to check with the LinuxThreads developer if he doesn't see
your query, since I imagine he of all people would be a in a position to
need a thread capable debugger.

--
Eric Schenk                               www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University          email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se