Re: filesystem encryption...

Evan Jeffrey (ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:13:59 -0600

>check out man page on losetup --- someone was working on encryption on
>block devices patch but I don't remember who --- would be nice though for
>all you secret user files you don't want federal authorities to have access
>to after your arrest
>
>On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, nerull wrote:
>
>> I remember reading about being able to have an encrypted fs and
>> mounting it with a loop device or something like that. But I don't
>> remember where any of the information on doing any of this is at. Could
>> someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> thanks.

Yeah, I hope someone was working on this, or I am just imagining that it
works for me. I don't remember where I got it, but if you do an ftpsearch
(great web page, btw) for "des-1.0.patch.gz" or something (that is the
version I have) you willl probably find it. There is also an IDEA patch,
though my version of losetup will only work with des. It applies to both
2.0 and 2.1 kernels, and works great. You need loop device in the kernel
(no modules) for it to work.

Evan Jeffrey