Re: CMD IDE & waffle on graphics startup crap

Joseph Skinner (joe@mail.earthlight.co.nz)
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 03:40:24 +1200 (NZST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Richard Mark Hemsley wrote:

> I have a rather thick CMD 640 IDE card.
> Compiling the kernel with CMD640 support is ok,
> but if I stick the flag IDE..whatever... in the bootparams
> it just gets to 'Buggy CMD640 interface on IDE....'
> Kernel is 2.0.18.
>
> Also, I just got a 2.5G Western Digital Caviar.
> Some geezer was asking if over 2G works w/ linux.
> It certainly does. LILO complains, but I'm using loadlin
> on a diddy 10M partition so I can initialise my sound card.
> fdisk does _not_ like the big drive. Don't worry, cfdisk
> copes just fine.
>
> This is related actually cos the reason I want my CMD
> working is to get the PIO modes set on my drives.
> My 1G & 2.5G both support PIO4 but don't get it.
>
> I did an hdparm -T -t on the 2.5G and the drive transfer
> time was a pedestrian 600K/s. The same as my old faithful
> 340M Maxtor.

I have a CMD 640 on a pci mother board and use the following settings for
it.

hdparm -p8 -u1 -m16 /dev/hda
hdparm -p8 -u1 -m16 /dev/hdc

-p = drive mode [p8 disables prefetch and someother things so that
I can enable interupts]
-u = enable or disable interupts
-m = sectors to read per interupt

These seem to give the best results on my system [an amd 486/100.] YMMV.

Hope this is of use
Joe.

in real life: Joseph Skinner |There's no such thing as a wizard
email: joe@earthlight.co.nz |who minds his own business
jskinner@es.co.nz | - Berengis the Black
http: www.earthlight.co.nz/users/joe| Court Mage to the Earls Caeline