Re: Printer problem, timing perhaps?

Paul Colclough (paulc@squiznet.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:32:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Brad Pepers wrote:

> > I've just changed my motherboard, but everything else is still the same.
> > However, now when I try to print with Linux, it misses characters :(
>
> I had a similar problem and fixed it by using the tunelp command. You
> have to run it as root and try something like "tunelp /dev/lp1 -w 70000"
> (which is what I needed). You can try to lower the 70000 value until
> you start losing characters.

I've just upgraded to the 2.1.30 kernel using the patches on Sunsite,
still no luck with tunelp so I went to the source code... I decided to
duplicate the "while(wait != LP_WAIT(minor)) wait++;" construct and
placed one before sending the char to the printer, and one after turning
the strobe low (at the end of the function). The printer now works
faultlessly.

I must just have one of these "ultra-slow" printers regarding the strobe
signal. I doubt the changes would benefit anyone else, so I have not
attached a diff. However, all I changed is described in the above paragraph.

paulc@squiznet.demon.co.uk (U.K) http://www.squiznet.demon.co.uk
paulc@sunsite.unc.edu (U.S) http://sunsite.unc.edu/paulc