Re: upgrade from 1.2.13 to 2.0.X

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:18:35 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, daniel provencher wrote:
> hi all
>
> i have question, i want to upgrade my linux from 1.2.13 to 2.0.29,
> but i have problem, i'm ISP, then i dont want to shutdown the system to
> long, so is everyone can tell me what the best way to upgrade, and in
> wich order to do it, i upgrade my kernel and after my utilitys program,
> or my utilitys program and my kernel after.?

Daniel, Best method I know of is to buy a second machine
and load fresh `your prefered distribution` onto it. Taking
your sweet time about it, while recompiling any tools / ....
you are fond of .

Then when all seems in readiness tar / dump the system you've
created & then tar / dump off the necessary components of the
old system onto your new hot rod & test it out locally for a
few days.

Then do a midnight tar / dump of the the necessary components
of the old system one more time to keep it current then swap
it over.

Do be carefull if using tar as a full system dump it has a
tedency to loose who owns what, Best to use a good dump/restore
procedure, though always tar off the passwd-area(even if using
kerberos/shadow), tar may be usable if you do this.

I've done it this way on two differant occasions.
once for a name server reasonably heavy use.
once for a radius server & mail server -VERY- heavy use.

Hth, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Still in Progress . IE: No Progress To Report ;-) <-|