Re: ld.so 1.9.1 and glibc 2.0.1

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)
01 Apr 1997 14:21:14 +0200

Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com> writes:

> Umm, time out guys. This is *exactly* the same problem that I
> was having. The problem was due to the fact that the autoconfigure
> didn't correctly detect that linker flag --no-whole-archive was supported
> in my linker. In my case it was because I had run ./configure with bogus
> CFLAGS, and the test failed.

Was it this error message? I cannot remember exactly but now will
pout it in the FAQ.

> Come to think of it, I don't believe that glibc will compile out of
> the box if your linker doesn't support this switch.

Versions of `ld' which don't have this option only handle the next to
come .a file in this mode. I.e., one had to add more --whole-archive
parameters if more .a files had to be handled.

For 2.0.3 I've added a sanity check for the CFLAGS in the environment
so that this is error reason is hopefully caught.

Thanks, Eric.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper@cygnus.com ,-. Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ 76149 Karlsruhe/Germany