Re: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!?? (fwd)

Dave Wreski (tel1dvw@is.ups.com)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:04:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:
> A simple shell script like this will run four simultaneous badblocks programs
> on the drive. A person can then check the files in the /tmp directory to see
> if any were returned as bad. With modern IDE or SCSI drives, all of these
> files should have a zero length unless one of two things is true. One, you
> have a drive developing too many bad sectors to be mapped out (which is cause

Ok, I'm willing to run your script on my new Seagate 2.1 Wide, aha2940uw.

The only concern I have is if it does in fact produce an error, how are
we to prove it is not the hard disk, among other things, or the driver?

A return of 0 proves its neither hardware or ext2, but a failure does not
indicate anything.

Dave