Re: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!?? (fwd)

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@mbox.vol.it)
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 09:29:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:

[...]
> These are a few examples. A second thing to keep in mind is that the ext2fs
> is a rather fast filesystem by unix standards (it beats the hell out of the
> EAFS HTFS DTFS etc filesystems from SCO, but who's comparing SCO to linux
> anyway :) so if you have hardware corruption problems that don't show up
> except under heavy load, ext2fs is a good filesystem to bring those out :)

As a side note (just I think this may help), ext2 programs have a nice
utility to set up the ext2 behavior: the tune2fs.

It have saved my ass more that one time, in fact I don't care of ext2
corruption because my filesystem is set up to remount read-only on
filesystem inconsistency (error) !

tune2fs -i 4d -c 10 -e remount-ro /dev/hd??

is a good way to protect your filesys: force an fsck every 4 days or 10
mounts and on filesystem error, remount it read-only. When you find you
can no more write on your filesys, you know your ass have been saved by
this setting :)

Of course if there is a bug, it should be tracked down and fixed, but for
those who just want to protect their filesys from corruption, this may
help.

Ciao,
Riccardo.