Re: 2.0.29 doesnt boot

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:07:36 +0200

From: hm@seneca.muc.de (Harald Milz)
Subject: Re: 2.0.29 doesnt boot
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

Yakko J. Warner (yakko@wtower.com) wrote:
> here's the scoop: i compile linux 2.0.29 with cyrix patches, and the AWE32
> driver and a small fork memleak patch.. everything goes fine, but when i
> attempt to boot this kernel, i get:
>
> Now booting the kernel
>
> system is unresponcive thereafter, requiring touching the reset switch (with
> a mallet came to mind after the 4th compile)

You've probably set CONFIG_CYRIX_6X86_VSPM at least the same happened to me
when I tried it. Disabling this option allowed for booting again but still
the machine was quite unstable (heavy display flickering) as long as there
were any Cyrix options enabled (even CONFIG_CYRIX). CPU is an IBM P166+,
rev. 3.6 (step 1r7).

--
Harald Milz ----------- PGP Public Key: finger hm[AT]muc.de (Key ID 7ADC4839)

"Not only is this incomprehensible, but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree." -- Professor W.