Re: a question on i386 copy_thread()

Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:31:40 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Nope, if the vmalloc fails, p->ldt would be NULL (hence the test that it
> > isn't), and the next time we try to do anything with it, we'll have a NULL
> > pointer dereference.
> >
> > > Ray Lehtiniemi <rayl@crosskeys.com>
> > >
> > Bryn
>
> ...a NULL pointer dereference... also known as a bad thing!
>
> -=- James Mastros

At least it's a trapped error, and would come to light unambiguasley if we
try to use it, but it's not going to be a problem, as it only gets
executed if(p->ldt!=NULL):

[...]
if (p->ldt) {
p->ldt = (struct desc_struct*) vmalloc(LDT_ENTRIES*LDT_ENTRY_SIZE);
if (p->ldt != NULL)
memcpy(p->ldt, current->ldt, LDT_ENTRIES*LDT_ENTRY_SIZE);
}
[...]

so I don't think it's a problem.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.