Re: Performance/Memory usage patch

Mark Hemment (markhe@nextd.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 23:31:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sander/All,

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Sander van Malssen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 1997 at 10:29:05AM +0100, Mark Hemment wrote:
> > I've just hung a 'test' patch (against 2.1.32) off my home-page;
> > http://www.nextd.demon.co.uk/
>
> Nice one, it saves me about 64k kernel data.
>
> Two small points:
> - fs/nfs/write.c still has page->inode in it;
> - some modules use kfree_s, so it should get exported now that
> it's not a macro anymore.

Great. Thanks for the notes.
I caught the nfs one just a few minutes ago, I'll get the kfree_s one
sorted out ASAP.
I'm currently implementing scalable per-task file-descriptors, so that
they are allocated in small blocks (rather than the full 1024 in
one-shot). This should help memory usage/performance.

I'll (hopefully) put out a new patch at the weekend.

Thanks,

markhe

Mark Hemment, Unix/C Software Engineer (Contractor)
markhe@nextd.demon.co.uk http://www.nextd.demon.co.uk/
"Success has many fathers, failure is a B**TARD!" - anon