Re: binary format loader cache?

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:20:48 -0400

From: joerg@raleigh.ibm.com (Joerg Pommnitz)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:11:54 -0500 (EDT)

> Actually, the reason I haven't applied this is that I want
> something that goes a lot further: when a process gets an empty
> file structure that structure should be totally removed from the
> "available file structures" list), and then added back on when
> f_count goes back to zero. That way get_empty_filp() would be
> O(1), because it could just get the first file pointer on the
> list and _know_ that it is directly usable.

Isn't this what the SLAB allocator is designed for?

Indeed. In fact Mark Hemment's original old SLAB patch set did this
for filp's already, I will try to find the time to do this.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><