Re: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!??

Jeff Garzik (jeff.garzik@spinne.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:13:19 -0400

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Quite frankly, at this point, the only driver which I really trust to be
> well implemented and whose hardware is stable is the BusLogic series of
> drivers....

This brings up something I was mentioned a while back without any
takers. One of the reasons Solaris is so stable, especially under
loaded conditions, is that Sun tests the hell out of their OS.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a test suite for the Linux kernel? It's
pretty sad when Linux has been in production machines for years, and the
above is the confidence level people hold Linux and its drivers up to.
A test suite to stress-test as many scenarios as possible would be nice,
and would help establish a minimum standard of performance/stabliity for
drivers in the kernel.

Thanks!
Jeff