re: P6 bug?!

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:36:04 -0700

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>

Chris Dee wrote:

> Could somebody please tell me what this means:
>
> Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...
>
> Is there a problem with the P6? Or with the board? If it's a problem with
> the P6, do all P6's have this problem? Does this bug affect the system in
> any way?

See the bottom of this message for an explanation.

> Is it a problem to comment out the line in the kernel that shows this
> message? It's messing up the display.

Since the bug is ignored, giving debugging priority to the message seems
justified. Here's a trivial patch (against 2.1.32) to do that.

Since we now fully understand this problem, and it's not going away, we might
want to consider removing the message entirely. At the point the message was
added, we weren't 100% certain there couldn't have been other problems as well,
and so an indication seemed desirable.

Leonard