Re: kernel nfsd problems

Olaf Kirch (okir@monad.swb.de)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 21:27:38 +0200

On 12 Apr 1997 14:36:07 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> I played a bit with knfsd and tried to run a bonnie from a BSD box.
>
> Result: bonnie failed and I got this on the linux box:

Whoops. In nfsxdr.c, function nfssvc_release_fhandle, can you please
insert the following code before the fh_put() call:

if (fhp->fh_inode && fhp->fh_inode->i_count == 0)
printk("bad inode in call to %d\n", rqstp->rq_proc);

Once I know which procedure causes the problem, I should be able to
locate it easily. If the error happens early during the bonnie run,
it may also help to enable debugging using

rpcdebug -am nfsd; rpcdebug -am rpc

> nfsd: request from insecure port (8d54213b:1077)!
>
> Is there a way to allow connections from an "insecure" port?

Yes, export the NFS volume using -o insecure. knfsd supports roughly
the same set of options as unfsd did.

> IMHO the complete concept of insecure ports should be buried as quickly
> as possible.

If you write the secure RPC handling and get governments around the
world to let people import, export and use DES and Diffie-Hellman without
restriction, I'll do the burying. Port checks are not terribly secure,
but at least they keep ordinary users from messing around with guessed
file handles.

> I also tried iozone from a Linux 2.0 box (over 100BaseT) and only
> got ca 22KB/s write speed with default options.

See my other message on synchronous vs. asynchronous writes.

Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir@monad.swb.de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax