Re: kernel nfsd problems

Andi Kleen (andi@mlm.extern.lrz-muenchen.de)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 22:23:06 +0200

In message <m0wG8SY-000HRwC@monad.swb.de>you write:
>On 12 Apr 1997 14:36:07 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> I played a bit with knfsd and tried to run a bonnie from a BSD box.
>>
>> Result: bonnie failed and I got this on the linux box:
>
>Whoops. In nfsxdr.c, function nfssvc_release_fhandle, can you please
>insert the following code before the fh_put() call:
>
> if (fhp->fh_inode && fhp->fh_inode->i_count == 0)
> printk("bad inode in call to %d\n", rqstp->rq_proc);
>
>Once I know which procedure causes the problem, I should be able to
>locate it easily. If the error happens early during the bonnie run,
>it may also help to enable debugging using

Result is:

bad inode in call to 9
nfsd: trying to free free inode in nfsxdr.c:470
dev 0805 ino 334588, mode 0100755
nfsd: unauthenticated request from (8d542101:1022)
nfsd: unauthenticated request from (8d542101:1022)

> rpcdebug -am nfsd; rpcdebug -am rpc

Hmm, the rpcdebug in linux-nfs-0.4.21 doesn't work because I don't
have a /proc/sys/sunrpc/nfs_debug (with 2.1.33 and nfsd as a module,
nfs client compiled in). BTW the only thing missing in linux-nfs
is a exports(5) manpage.

I can supply tcpdump output if you need it.

>> nfsd: request from insecure port (8d54213b:1077)!
>>
>> Is there a way to allow connections from an "insecure" port?
>
>Yes, export the NFS volume using -o insecure. knfsd supports roughly
>the same set of options as unfsd did.
>
>> IMHO the complete concept of insecure ports should be buried as quickly
>> as possible.
>
>If you write the secure RPC handling and get governments around the
>world to let people import, export and use DES and Diffie-Hellman without
>restriction, I'll do the burying. Port checks are not terribly secure,
>but at least they keep ordinary users from messing around with guessed
>file handles.

On networks with most machines being Windows, Macs and other machines
without a superuser concept it is pretty pointless.
I see that the kernel code in linux-nfs-0.4.19 includes a auth_des
module. Is this module non-functional? It would be very nice to have
an easily compilable kit with the DES code somewhere on a ftp server
in the free world. Then a /sbin/modprobe auth_des would be possible.

-Andi