Re: RFC: 'more signals' patch, 2.1.33

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)
15 Apr 1997 02:29:03 +0200

Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at> writes:

> - big assumption: signal #32 is abused as an 'extended' bit. Thus no need
> to push the new signal code down to the assembly level and deep into
> kernel drivers. 'extended signals' can only be sent between processes,
> the first 31 signals serve as 'kernel-internal fast signals'
>
> I'm not sure what POSIX says about this, maybe it's impossible to do it
> this way.

A quick note: this is perfectly legal and it is what I think the POSIX
people had in mind. The use of real-time signals with the old signal
functions (i.e., those not defined in POSIX.1b) in left undefined.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper@cygnus.com ,-. Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ 76149 Karlsruhe/Germany
Cygnus Solutions `--' drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu `------------------------