Re: procfs problems

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:45:55 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:

> It should be standardized. Right now there's *no* standardization in the
> kernel, which makes parsing the information the biggest pain in the ass.
> Having to write 5 different parsers for the same information is *not* the
> way to go.
>
> Note that I'm not necessarily complaining about that each architecture has
> its own information, I'm complaining about crap like this:
>
> Alpha:
> BogoMIPS : 163.57
>
> x86:
> bogomips : 35.84
>
> Sparc:
> BogoMips : 24.88
>
> HELLO??? McFly???? Does this make ANY sense?

Fix it and make a patch then. I'm sure nobody would object to it being
tidied up. Ditto your "multiple devices" complaint, though I have a
feeling that might be a bit less widely accepted.

The bit about "design inconsistency" on your page is just garbage as far
as I can tell. The reason there is no /proc/ide is because nobody felt it
would be useful enough to bother writing one. Its absence doesn't in any
way invalidate /proc/scsi's presence, nor vice versa. Yet again, if you
think it would be that much of an improvement to the world, why not
implement it and send us your patch?

p.