Re: Linux on PA/RISC

Sam Williams (samw@wwa.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 00:22:44 -0500 (CDT)

Well Kids I broke this news to comp.os.linux.announce the other day.
Unfortunately, since this is a moderated news group my post has not been
released.

I will summarize what whas in the post. First, I am in Philadelphia this
week attending an HP conference. Two nights ago, during one of the keynote
speeched by Dr. Ira Goldstein, Chief Technology Officer, HP, I found out
that there was a research project conducted within HP to port the CMU
Microkernel to PA-Risc technology. Once they had completed the port they
decided to take it one step further to ascertain the porting ease of
moving a layered OS from one hardware platform to another. The developers
chose the Linux M68K source that was developed last year by Apple. Well
the HP project was a success and they are all done........

In a phenomenal turn of events Dr. Goldstein said in the keynote that the
source efforts would be turned over to the public within the next two
weeks. So any one out there with PA-Risc machines that they were thinking
of scrappingthem, don't. Soon you will able to put these into use under
linux. I will send the url to this list as soon as it is made available.
This is another banner day for Linux!!!

And now you know the rest of the story.....

Sam Williams wb5yni samw@wwa.com
OS Software Consultant samw@sinnfree.com

simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication....
Leonardo Da Vinci