Re: procfs problems

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:16:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer wrote:
> > To obtain IO statistics about two different brand SCSI controllers, I
> > would have to write two different parsers - one for each /proc entry. Not
> > to mention the fact that /proc entries for some controllers don't even
> > report IO statistics.
> >
> > Basically the current situation is that drivers report what they want -
> > any way they want to report it. This prevents us from writing any sort
> > of STANDARD analysis tools - something crutial to system tuning.
> >
> > My vote is for standardizing CONTENT as well as format.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, This will get my vote also. Although I know one person
> who will groan ;-))

Yes, me.

As I explained a few times alrady to some people, it is simply not
possible to standardizing the CONTENT. All you could do is standardize
a common subset (which will be extremely small).

Except for the fact that all controllers process SCSI commands in _some_
way, there is not much commonality in architecture and capabilities.

Over the whole range of supported controllers, they are about as similar
as a wall brick is to the Empire State building.

Mike