Re: Modutils 2.1.34

Richard Henderson (richard@stommel.tamu.edu)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:23:21 -0500 (CDT)

[cc: linux-kernel in hopes of some suggestions on solving the module
path problem.]

Jean Tourrilhes <jt@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> 'depmod' creates and empty "modules.dep" file. There is no
> error message on the output and in any of the log file. I'm willing to
> help to try to nail down this problem, but I'm afraid that I don't
> know were to start.

I'm not sure whether Marcin meant this to be a feature or not -- the
whole syntax of the paths in the config file strikes me as odd.

In any case, bits like

path[fs] = /lib/modules/current/fs

should be instead

path[fs] = /lib/modules/current

as it is you wind up with /lib/modules/current/fs/fs. This was
brought to my attention recently as one area in which we appear to
be gratuitously incompatible with the old tools.

Personally, I don't see the point of all the myriad subdirectories.
And the whole path[set]=/dir bit is nonsense -- there is no reason
for a module path to differ in form from $PATH.

Not sure what to do with this. Are there comments?

> I've got another problem : insmod ignore my configuration file
> ("/etc/modules.conf") and doesn't add the arguments for module

Insmod never reads modules.conf. modprobe can be used for manually
Furthermore kerneld is the program that handles 'ifconfig eth2 up'.

r~