Re: procfs problems

Christopher Horn (chorn@warwick.net)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:37:58 -0400

Dan Hollis wrote:

> If you look at the current pci.c, it is going to be exceedingly difficult
> to jettison part of the tables, and only keep others.

Well, maybe restructure isn't quite the right word, but it could be
done.

> I think rewriting current stuff that uses procfs to use the sysctl()
> interface would end up being a big win overall.

I think the design goal behind the sysctl interface was different. While
it could probably be used to eliminate some of the proc files like
cmdline and cpuinfo, there are many others it can not easily handle.

> I still maintain that the pci parser belongs in user space.

Also a valid solution, which saves a little room from the start. A
utility could be called as part of the system startup that reported on
installed devices and notified the user of unknown devices it may have
found.

Cheers,
Chris