Re: 3Com 3c900 is "unknown device" in patched 2.0.29

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:51:18 +0200

On Apr 20, Willem Riede <wriede@monmouth.com> wrote:

> eth0: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps/Combo at 0x6000, 00:60:97:10:e0:58, IRQ 10
> 8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.
> Rx Pacing bug exists, disabling bus-master receives.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we have the same cards and trouble, and I'm much more interested in getting
some details about this "Rx Pacing bug" and how it can be fixed.

from looking into the kernel sources, this bug is "detected" by checking
byte 16 bit 0 in the configuration EEPROM on the card. are there any docs
available what this (and all the other) bits really mean ?

what would be needed to fix this bug ? replacing the card ?
or downloading new firmware (but couldn't see any flash prom or similar) ?

if replacement is required, how can I recognize cards without "Rx Pacing bug"
when buying ? our cards are "Rev. A", which revision is ok ?

Thanks,

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\