Re: Sys V TLI for Linux?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:17:00 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, W. Reilly Cooley wrote:

> Does anyone know of an implementation of Sys V TLI for Linux? If not, anyone
> want to get crackin'? Informix is considering porting some of their DBMS
> software to Linux, and requires this for an easy port. It would move Linux
> in closer competetion with commercial Unices to have such significant
> software as a database from one of the top three DB companies.

You could just pull the TLI/XTI over sockets emulation from iBCS and
make it a separate module. It's not a real STREAMS based TLI but
does most of what is needed - although anything that expects to be
able to push arbitrary STREAMS modules on to a transport end point
is in trouble. It would make more sense for Informix to use a user
space TLI over sockets library or to write a sockets version of
their net code. Although I seem to remember that they have their
own STREAMS module to link in to the host kernel (which is a
bugger for portability). If they _really_ need a full STREAMS
stack they had better join the LiS project sharpish because their
no-STREAMS competitors will have a good head start :-).

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |