Re: huge uptime

Illuminati Primus (vermont@gate.net)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:13:49 -0400 (EDT)

I believe this may be related to a similar problem I have at school: Some
students, instead of logging out of the linux machine, turn off the dumb
terminals I've set up (yeah I tell them not to).. So this leaves them
logged in indefinetly, and Ive found that any attempt to write to their
ttys causes that process to hang and become unkillable. This is probably
whats happening to your ytalk too.. Anyhow, I guess this might be a
problem with the tcp connections never timing out, which is entirely
possible since I'm running 2.1.26 at school, which we all know has a few
tcp bugs.. But should the processes enter into an unkillable state? Is
there any way to safeguard against this besides installing an idled like I
did?

Thanks,
-vermont@gate.net , mongoloid programmer