Re: ncr810 scsi

Skeet Fischer (skeet@Bridgewater.EDU)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:29:42 -0400 (EDT)

On 23 Apr 1997, Thomas Ackermann wrote:

> I constantly keep getting such SCSI errors:
>
> Apr 19 22:50:31 final kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 4537,
> scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 25 33 cf 00 00 02 00
> Apr 19 22:50:31 final kernel: scsi0 : found command 4537 in Linux issue queue
>
> This is true due to all kernel up to 2.0.29 - and i suspect it in future
> kernels too ...
>
> I use the ncr53c8xx driver, not the BSD version - and would like to hear if
> anybody else is getting such messages.

I'm running 2.1.33 with twin BusLogic 742AH SCSI controllers and I'm
constantly getting similar timeout errors upon booting when the kernel
tries to access my tape drive, an Exabyte 8200. All the other SCSI devices
are working fine though. I'd love to be able to get this fixed so that I
can use my tape drive under Linux.

If anyone wants to know, I've got all the updated libs and utils, the
latest buslogic scsi driver, etc. and I've tried the obvious of swapping
controllers between the tape drive and other devices, cabling, termination
, etc. I've also tried upping the timeout values in st.c to up to ten
times their original value to see if the tape drive is just slow in
responding.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

--Douglas

Douglas K. Fischer Skeet@Bridgewater.EDU (540) 828 - 5343
Programmer/Network Analyst C. E. Shull Computing Center
College Box 36 Bridgewater College Bridgewater, VA 22812