Re: "Transmitter access conflict" with 2.0.30

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:34:44 +0200

On Apr 23, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> I've installed v0.4 of the 3c59x driver from
> ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/ , put the card through
> the same kind of situation as before, and things go very well now.
>
> This is something that should really go into 2.0.31.

NO, NO, NO,! (IMHO)

2.0.x should firstly be stable, stable and stable. and there are numerous
reports that this driver doesn't work well for 3x905 cards. we only
get about ~200 kbytes/sec on our 100Mbit net between two Linux PCs with
such cards and this driver; ~500 kbytes/sec from SGI O2 to Linux.

just because it works fine for your setup isn't enough reason to break
things in 2.0.X kernels for others.

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\