Re: Off Topic (MMX Overdrive performance)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:32:00 +0200 (MET DST)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> >bogomips : 299.83 <== eek! bogus but pretty
>
> Very pretty. They are doing the whole loop of two instructions
> consistently in one clock cycle, which is pretty impressive. They
> obviously fixed the misfeature with the original Pentium branch
> predictor that made it give bad values for the bogomips loop.

Not only a whole loop of two instructions in one cylce:
two loops of two instructions in one cycle.
Which is still pretty impressive.... :-)

Or am I mis-interpreting the bogomips definition? It is the number
loops per second right?

My pentium runs this (gcc 2.7.2 compiled) loop at one per two (120MHz)
clocks. -> bogo==60. This is not the "official bogomips loop", so my
normal bogomips rating is 48.

.L9:
incl %ecx
cmpl %ebx,%ecx