Re: Off Topic (MMX Overdrive performance)

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:44:27 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On 23 Apr 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970423072107.1678A-100000@mikeg.weiden.de>,
> Michael L. Galbraith <mikeg@weiden.de> wrote:
> >
> >Anyone know what the heck Intel did to the MMX-Overdrive(150) to account
> >for this?
>
> Impressive. They seem to have improved memory read performance
> noticeably, possibly due to the bigger cache (but just "bigger" doesn't
> explain it: I suspect they made the cache bigger by increasing the
> associativity which might certainly help).

The MMX versions also have some pipeline, cache and branch prediction
improvements that are well worth the slight MMX premium even if
you aren't going to touch MMX :-).

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |