Re: RT-Linux and SMP

Victor Yodaiken (yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:25:44 -0600

On Apr 24, 4:50pm, "David S. Miller" wrote:
Subject: Re: RT-Linux and SMP
>Unless you want to make our drivers require knowledge of SMP safety,
>something we specifically do not want, it is a huge win to completely
>hide the details of SMP from driver writers.

Right now, I just want to make sure that the RT stuff won't break anything.

Driver writers should not need to know about SMP, but they should
have some better tools for "critical reqions". The new cli
scheme is really very clever, but it seems like it could be a
potential major performance drag and lead to wierd behaviors
as the number of processors goes up.