Re: EIDE beats SCSI

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 16:31:17 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Bryan Parkoff wrote:

> Dear Bryn,

I'm not the only one here ;)

> I do not use ISA PNP Utility because it won't go through on my system.
> Its motherboard has only four EISA and two ISA slots.

Hmm....

> When I boot Linux, I typed: "ramdisk ide2=0x168,0x36e,10". It begins to
> work fine. It can boot Linux and detect CD-ROM through Sound Blaster AWE32
> PNP with no problems. It is very strange that I do not need to use ISA PNP
> Utility.

proberbly semi hard wired (ie it defaults to this), or Creative thinks
jumperless == pnp (ie software configurable == pnp), whatever.

> When I add: "AHA152x=0x140,11,4,1" after "ide2=0x168,0x36e,10". It can
> detect SCSI, but it gives too many devices such as sda1, sdb1, sdc1,
> ....sdg1. SCSI is not supposed to give more than 7 devices, but only one
> device for Jaz Drive. It does not detect CD-ROM because SCSI was active.
> I boot Linux without detecting SCSI but detect CD-ROM that works fine.
> Strange....

Hmm, I've seen something like this before, messing with a scsi disk on a
mac (don't ask). We set the ID of the disk the same as the scsi
controller, and ended up with the disk responding to every id, when we
scaned the bus (I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it's kinda out
of spec anyway ;). Does scsi work properly under dos/windows ?

Hmm, as I read it, that commandline is saying aha152x is at base port
0x140, irq 11, id 4, and reconnect is 1(ie on). If that's not what you
wanted, all the values except the base port are optional. I have a
fealing you are tring to tell the kernel where the jaz drive is, don't,
the id is that if the controler (usally 7). FYI that command line option
is:

[begin quote from bootparam(7) ....]
BOOT ARGUMENTS FOR SCSI DEVICES
General notation for this section:

iobase -- the first I/O port that the SCSI host occupies. These are
specified in hexidecimal notation, and usually lie in the range
from 0x200 to 0x3ff.

irq -- the hardware interrupt that the card is configured to use.
Valid values will be dependent on the card in question, but
will usually be 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 15. The other values
are usually used for common peripherals like IDE hard disks,
floppies, serial ports, etc.

scsi-id -- the ID that the host adapter uses to identify itself on the
SCSI bus. Only some host adapters allow you to change this
value, as most have it permanently specified internally. The
usual default value is 7, but the Seagate and Future Domain
TMC-950 boards use 6.

parity -- whether the SCSI host adapter expects the attached devices to
supply a parity value with all information exchanges.
Specifying a one indicates parity checking is enabled, and a
zero disables parity checking. Again, not all adapters will
support selection of parity behaviour as a boot argument.

[...]
Adaptec aha151x, aha152x, aic6260, aic6360, SB16-SCSI configuration

The aha numbers refer to cards and the aic numbers refer to the actual
SCSI chip on these type of cards, including the Soundblaster-16 SCSI.

The probe code for these SCSI hosts looks for an installed BIOS, and if
none is present, the probe will not find your card. Then you will have to
use a boot arg of the form:

aha152x=iobase[,irq[,scsi-id[,reconnect[,parity]]]]

If the driver was compiled with debugging enabled, a sixth value can be
specified to set the debug level.

All the parameters are as described at the top of this section, and the
reconnect value will allow device disconnect/reconnect if a non-zero value
is used. An example usage is as follows:

aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

Note that the parameters must be specified in order, meaning that if you
want to specify a parity setting, then you will have to specify an iobase,
irq, scsi-id and reconnect value as well.

[.... end quote]

> Bryan Parkoff
> BLP-LDS@texas.net

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.