Re: Solaris source (fwd)

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:35:14 -0400

From: "SethMeister G." <consp05@binghamton.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think (despite what that dude from SGI said) that Sun is
competing with Linux, nor do I beleive that it is their aim. Being
a Sun employee myself (and no I don't speak for them) I can tell
you this for certain.

Then what possible other aim could they possibly have, especially
since they mention Linux specifically as one of the incentives behind
their "free Solaris source" marketing announcement?

I don't know, if they have other real incentives behind this act, so
be it. But people are certainly going to view it as being a "Sun
vs. Linux" thing no matter what the truth actually is.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><