Re: SCSI disk devices

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:32:35 +0200

From: hm@seneca.muc.de (Harald Milz)
Subject: Re: SCSI disk devices
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz) wrote:
> server. Now, is the correct solution a fast transition to 16bit minor
> numbers, or can we allocate one more major for SCSI disks?
> At the moment I have disks /dev/sda through /dev/sdo, but there are some
> other disks waiting to be attached...

There is one more point to that. We are eventually going to have an SSA
device driver, and SSA tends to be used in large server installs. Each
disk is presented to the OS as a single SCSI disk ... so I think we need
a major change in disk numbering, not just 16 more devices by one more
major number. 16 bit minors (and majors, for that matter) would be the
cleanest solution IMHO. That's what commercial Unixes tend do offer.

--
Harald Milz ----------- PGP Public Key: finger hm[AT]muc.de (Key ID 7ADC4839)

Pascal Users: To show respect for the 313th anniversary (tomorrow) of the death of Blaise Pascal, your programs will be run at half speed.