Re: Solaris source

tz@execpc.com
Thu, 1 May 1997 17:08:44 -0400

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Raul Miller wrote:

> On Apr 29, David S. Miller wrote
> > Like other companies, SunSoft would like to continue to exist.
> > SunSoft's existance depends upon things like Solaris selling well, if
> > Linux poses any sort of threat to Solaris's sales they will strike
> > back because without sales of Solaris, SunSoft would soon be history.
>
> If they want to compete with linux they should focus a bit more on
> the usability of their default command line and desk top environment, too.
>
> Trivial example: compare linux cp -a to solaris cpio -o... | (cd __; cpio -i...)

I thought the first thing done after unpacking a solaris machine was to
get the precompiled GNU tools on the machine and antecedent in the PATH.
With those, it is almost like being on real Linux. And after you are
tired of adding #ifdef LINUX to your source, you install sparc-linux :).

tz@execpc.com
finger tz@execpc.com for PGP key