Re: SCSI disk devices, cXtXsXdX Naming scheme -NOT- Please

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Thu, 1 May 1997 22:59:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Manish Vachharajani wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 06:15:40 -0400
> From: Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com>
>
> I am not 100% sure what the best long term solution is. Some
> people have suggested that a /proc/scsi/dev/ tree be populated with
> names and links that are somewhat representative of whatever the ID,
> etc, are for the underlying device. I don't know what the performance
> impact would be of doing something like this, but on the surface it
> doesn't seem unreasonable. I guess my reaction is that I would prefer
> the solution live outside of the kernel (and hence scsidev), as it is
> more configurable and adaptable.
>
> At the very least though, I think the kernel should allocate minor
> scsi device numbers based on controller number and id. This way the
> things will change in a predictable manner(Though I guess numbering
> sequentially based on existing devices is predicatable as well, just
> not convenient.)
>
> This would be very useful in conjunction with a cxtxsxdx naming
^^^^^^^^ -YUCK- !

I beg of you, -all- of you. please do -NOT- implement this
naming scheme it just plain isn't easily readable. I for
one would not want to have to spell Superman's Greatest
enemies name backwards everytime I wanted to access or use
a device. ( Now that dates me ;-)

Please find another OS'ism to copy.

> scheme. I can then add a disk with an id of say 1, when my root disk
> id is 3 and not get an unbootable system unless I do a root=/dev/sdx.
> I am not sure how to deal with LUN's on devices in this scheme though.
>
> --
> Manish Vachharajani <mvachhar@noc.rutgers.edu>
> Rutgers University http://www-no.rutgers.edu/~mvachhar
> Telecommunications Division
> Systems Programmer

Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Still in Progress . IE: No Progress To Report ;-) <-|