Re: Dropping a.out support

Thomas Koenig (ig25@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Fri, 2 May 1997 14:03:30 +0200 (MET DST)

Peters Mutsaers wrote:

>Would not any serious commercial vendor have a new ELF release of
>there product, more than 2 years after it has been introduced?

Do you want to force it into vendors' minds that Linux is a moving
target, and that you can't successfully port anything to Linux for
and that it will run for longer than two years?

But to answer your question, Maplesoft does not have a Maple VR3
version in ELF. They are currently porting R4 to ELF/libc5, but
that's quite a different kettle of fish, since R3 can't read R3
spreadsheets, it has slightly different behavious (i.e. many R3
sheets don't run the same way under R4), a lot of bugs fixed, and
a few new ones.

Even if the new R4 comes out, I will have to continue using R3.

--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double