Re: AMD K6

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 May 1997 00:09:19 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.5kh15k$8fo$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
>Followup to: <8767xcppho.fsf@phaedrus.uchicago.edu>
>By author: stephen farrell <sfarrell@healthquiz.com>
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> what is the status of linux on the AMD K6 -- does it work? how does
>> it benchmark? what are people's opinions about the K6?
>>

>I can confirm that currently the K6 does **NOT** work with Linux, at
>least not version 2.0.27 that is on the Red Hat boot disk.

Fortunately I didn't read this before I bought one.

When running heavy-duty disk crunching tests, I had my root
filesystem go south on me and die (on a K6/166, 2.0.28+hacks, running
my own distribution of Linux.) When I was doing floating point
benchmarking of Schrodinger's PS-GVB on that same root disk, the
filesystem went south again. But when I ran that benchmark on a
scratch disk, it was perfectly happy.

I've only run the thing for about 48 hours at a time so far, but it
seems to be perfectly compatable for benchmarking work.

(my benchmarks show the k6 5% slower than a 80521 for integer, and
about 45% slower for floating point. Bummer about the floating
point :-()

____
david parsons \bi/ orc@pell.chi.il.us
\/