Re: SCSI disk devices, cXtXsXdX Naming scheme -NOT- Please

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
3 May 1997 23:57:27 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95q.970501225211.140C-100000@filesrv1.baby-dragons.com>,
Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer <babydr@nwrain.net> wrote:

>> At the very least though, I think the kernel should allocate minor
>> scsi device numbers based on controller number and id. This way the
>> things will change in a predictable manner(Though I guess numbering
>> sequentially based on existing devices is predicatable as well, just
>> not convenient.)
>>
>> This would be very useful in conjunction with a cxtxsxdx naming
> ^^^^^^^^ -YUCK- !
>
> I beg of you, -all- of you. please do -NOT- implement this
> naming scheme it just plain isn't easily readable.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for
a naming scheme that tells you what the device is, it's
hard to get better than a [C]ontroller[D]evice[L]un[P]artition
system, unless you want to be verbose:

/dev/scsi/controller0/disk1/lun0/partition2

____
david parsons \bi/ orc@pell.chi.il.us
\/