Re: Pentium II Math Bug

Bart Dorsey (bdorsey@bhs1.dsc.k12.ar.us)
Mon, 5 May 1997 15:05:44 -0500

Bart Dorsey - bdorsey@bhs1.dsc.k12.ar.us
Computer Support Tech - Bryant School District
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation

"Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."
-- Doctor Who "Androids of Tara"

----
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier+/news/lists/linux/kernel@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.Y
ALE.EDU>
Newsgroups: lists.linux.kernel
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Date: Monday, May 05, 1997 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Pentium II Math Bug

>Rob Hagopian <Rob.Hagopian@vuser.vu.union.edu> writes:
>> Check out http://www.x86.org/ after 9:00A PST for details.
>
>Amazing:
>
>- the guy there complains about its Pentium-II which he got "before
release"
> which means that the pentium-II that will get sold will very likely be
> different.

Did you happen to notice he says he Pentium Pro does this also?

>- and don't go see the page about comparison between Pentium-II and K6
> (and others) because the guy has sufficiently little knowledge in
processor
> to think that processors have to be compared at similar frequencies,
> As if you'd an Alpha 21164 to 100Mhz in order to compare it with some
POWER2
> processor. Worse yet: the 486DX2-50 would end up being faster than the
> 486DX-50 (since they'd be both compared at a speed of 25Mhz which the
486DX2
> would double).

Uh... you obviously don't understand clock multipliers and bus speeds...
Take a look at http://sysdoc.pair.com sometime.

Oh and what is this doing on the linux kernel list? Doesn't this list get
spammy enough?

P.S. How much do Intel employees make anyway?