Re: i2o support

Mark Hemment (markhe@nextd.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 May 1997 22:31:04 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Linux-Kernel-List wrote:
> >To develop I2O software requires an NDA; the group will not make the
> >spec publically available. Obviously, this is bad for free software,
> >so we ought to campain the I2O group to release the spec. See
> >http://www.i2osig.com for info.i

> Any ideas on how hard it would be to reverse engineer this. It seems to me
> that this could be a great I/O system for an Intel based systems.

I've no direct connection to I20, but I know some people who have.
They inform me (although not officially) that the idea is to stabilise the
standard before removing the NDA. Most, if not all, of the standard is
stable with only a few 'extensions' being added (such as the posibility of
emulating some of the support I20 cards are suppose to have inside an
OS - sounds strange to me as well...).

By all means let them know you want the 'standard/spec' released; I'm not
fully convinced by the excuse of stablising....

Regards,

markhe

Mark Hemment, Unix/C Software Engineer (Contractor)
markhe@nextd.demon.co.uk http://www.nextd.demon.co.uk/
"Success has many fathers, failure is a B**TARD!" - anon