RE: 2.0.30+: "local" or why doesn't tar -l and cp -x work?

Russell Berry (russ@berrex.com)
Sat, 10 May 1997 13:20:14 -0400 (EDT)

tar -l means don't access nfs mounted filesystems. I use to have a script that
I used for tar that did a find /, wrote it to a file, and then used sed to take
out all the proc entries. Alternatively find / -print|grep -v "\/proc"|cpio
will work for cpio.

As my final solution, I started using dump. In my own opinion it's the best of
all. The only caveat I have run into is the fact that it won't see my /dos
filesystem. For that, I tar/gzip up the /dos filesystem onto /usr/tmp, and
then run dump on all filesystems. Let me know if you need any more info. If
you like, you can pull dump right off my machine, in the pub dir:

ftp://wintermute.berrex.com/pub

hope this helps..

---russ

On 06-May-97 tz@execpc.com wrote:
>I want to NOT include /proc when I am using tar to back things up, but
>specifying the -l switch still will backup every mounted filesystem.
>What is wrong with both tar and cp, or libc, or with the kernel such that
>this doesn't work?
>
>tz@execpc.com
>finger tz@execpc.com for PGP key

Berrex Computer Solutions