Re: SMP

Wolfgang Wander (wwc@lars.desy.de)
Tue, 13 May 1997 08:38:26 +0200

Richard B. Johnson writes:
> Okay. Latest status on testing the latest 2.1.37:
>
> While taring one fs to another (about 1 gb).
>
> panic VFS: Buffer LRU pointers corrupted.
> panic VFS: LRU block list corrupted.
> panic VFS: Free block list corrupted.
>
> (all from fs/buffer.c)

we also get all kind of internal memory corruptions with 2.1.37.
This involves the kmalloc lists, tasks list ... Linus got a large
bunch or more or less useful (I fear less) kernel oops analysis.

Unfortunately I have no clue were to search for the reason. However
the frequency of this corruption seems to be triggered by the former
locking parallel interrupts. As soon as I put in the old (slow) tulip
driver the machines stay up for more than a day whereas with the new
fast one the corruptions happen every 12 hours in average (I've ten
machines running which provide me with some statistics...)

Wolfgang

--
   _/  _/ _/  _/ _/_/_/ . Wolfgang Wander HERMES Collaboration
  _/  _/ _/  _/ _/     . DESY Hamburg    Email: Wolfgang.Wander@desy.de