Re: parrallel printer support appears broken for hp540

Mark Evans (mevans@ecsnet.com)
Thu, 15 May 1997 13:20:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Joseph Skinner wrote:

> I tried printing using the 2.1.37 kernel today for the first time and
> found that it didn't work.
>
> The symptoms are that the printer is reported as being offline.
>
> After checking old kernels I found that the last one to work was 2.1.32.
> This was just before the new paraport stuff went in.
>
> Are there any changes that I should make to the compile configuration or
> is this a bug.

I had a similar problem. If you read the parport.txt in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation, it explains that the new parport code
changes the way lp devices are assigned. In the older kernels, there is a
static relationship between the lp devices and the I/O port. My printer
port was at 0x378 which was lp1 under 2.0 kernels, but in the later dev
kernels it becomes lp0. All I needed to do to fix printing here was to
change my /etc/printcap to send output to lp0 instead of lp1.

--
Mark Evans			Linux 2.x Information Headquarters
mevans@ecsnet.com	              http://www.linuxhq.com