Re: Alpha 500 vs Bi Ppro.

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 16 May 1997 09:34:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>Elliot Lee wrote:
>> > you mean you actually have two pentium pro processors? I ask simply
>> > because I've never seen it written that way. That would make a big
>> > difference as well. Get two alpha chips and the alpha would probably win.
>> > Or try something besides compiling code.
>>
>> That doesn't make any sense. At some point you MUST execute compiled code,
>> whether you are executing the program itself or the interpreter... An
>> interpreter will almost always be slower, independant of platform.
>
>My favorite benchmark is "compile the kernel". As Gcc requires lots
>more CPU time to generate alpha-code, some people argue that this is
>not a valid test. When all I'm interested in is compile performance

It's better to cross-compile kernels, to make sure the same code generating is
used[*]. Some months ago we had many results of cross-compiling Linux/m68k on
the Linux/m68k mailing list.

Greetings,

Geert

[*] Yes, this depends on how well your cross-compiler was compiled and
optimized too.

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wavelets, Linux/m68k on Amiga          http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/