Re: recompiled kernel

Al Sparks (fxars@uaf.edu)
Tue, 20 May 1997 09:44:18 -0800 (AKDT)

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Luca Barbetti wrote:

> From: Luca Barbetti <okib@edisons.it>
> To: "Linux-kernel (Posta elettronica)" <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: recompiled kernel
> Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:39:37 +0200
>
> Hi folks! I need some help.
> I use RedHat 4.0, kernel 2.0.18 gcc 2.7.2 (included in the Infomagic LINUX Developer's Resource CD-ROM) on my machine. My first building of a new kernel brought me some problems:
> - For some modules I got this line:
> The module symbols (from linux 2.0.18) don't match your linux-2.0.18.
> I have found those modules in the same RedHat distribution.
> - I got a PANIC message:
> Starting yp server services:
> !! NWSERV 0:PANIC !!
> NWSERV 0:EMUTLI:init_ipx:invalid argument
> I would really appreciate any advice and suggestion.
> Thank You all.
> Luca Barbetti
> okib@edisons.it

A question that comes to my mind is, do you have two different kernal
source distributions on your machine. If so, then maybe the way
symbolic or hard-links are setup, it's pointing to an old module
directory. Check for link files in places like /usr/src,
/usr/local/src, and /var directory structure.
=== Al