Re: UseNet Gateway One Way ok?

Jason Burrell (jburrell@crl5.crl.com)
Sun, 25 May 1997 17:41:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 1997 at 02:31:55PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > Ugh...I just got it too...and I can't even read the language. Talk about
> > misguided spam. FDT's been getting burried in spam this weekend, so I
>
> I received only one piece of spam this weekend but in addition got three
> syslog messages telling that qmail had rejected some spam.
>
> BTW, I maintain lists of valid cyberpromo+nancynet+llv+quantcom domain
> names. The lists can be found in url
>
> http://www.ee.tut.fi/~kaukasoi/
>
> I will keep the lists up to date.

A friend passed on a patch to sendmail.cf that was posted to one of the
BSD lists. I installed it. It's supposed to block the spam with invalid
source sites (e.g. lamer@mysite.com). It seems to work in a simple trial I
ran. I can't resolve cyberpromo.com, so I telnetted in and forged mail to
my own machine as being from Cyberpromo -- it was rejected.

I don't know how effective this will be in actuality, nor have I tried the
/etc/sendmail/spamdomains extension yet. I don't think it'll work for me
since I'm using a POP client to grab mail, then pass it to my local
sendmail.

I did not get this directly from Daniel, but from a third party.