Re: recvfrom with MSG_PEEK

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Tue, 27 May 1997 11:38:03 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > With such protocols the assumption that consecutive MSG_PEEK queries
> > return the same message is invalid, thus this programming technique
> > useless. But that's a userland issue.
>
> Some stacks reorder UDP packets with higher IP types of service. I don't
> do this at the moment (seems like too much hard work for no real gain), so
> its broken for UDP ?

If MSG_PEEK is defined as showing the next packet which will be
delivered doesn't this imply that a peeked message should be
treated as "partially" delivered and locked to the head of
the queue until it is "fully" delivered?

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |