Re: Patches for 2.1.40

Marco Mariani (m.mariani@imola.nettuno.it)
Thu, 29 May 1997 17:47:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > So you could make this an option in config
> > > (CONFIG_COLOR_PRINTK=y/n).. default it to no, let people
> > > decide what to do... Even allow for modifcation of colors if
> > > you want..
> >
> > Sounds good to me.
>
> BAD BAD BAD idea. What is it good for? It is good for nothing and
> could cause only unneccessary kernel bloat. If you want your own
> colorful messages, patch sysklogd to do so. If you want it on
> bootup... patch it into your own kernel, but please do not try to get
> this into official release.
>
> BTW think what hapens if you are using system that is "going down". Ie
> you get messages on console. It breaks display enough, already.

Well, call me a kernel bloater, but I have to say it: I mantain (remotely)
many linux machines, operated by veterinary people, who don't always tell
me about messages on the console. Were they using windoze, those people
would be halted by a dialog box, and they would probably pay attention
to it.

Curiously enough, when the message is dropped around on the screen they
are working on, and they don't understand it, they sometimes consider it
non-important - because after all they ARE ABLE to continue to work.

Were the message blinking red, things could be better.

Don't tell me the vets are broken and should be replaced, please.

All The Best,
Marco

"Death can come quickly to a market leader."

- Bill Gates, "The Road Ahead" -