Re: name change for cd rom devices

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 30 May 1997 12:01:40 +0200

On May 30, Bob Taylor wrote:

> > IMHO "scd" ever has been broken and a bit incosistent and I never understood
> > why this device name came up at all (when I've started using Linux with 0.98.4
> > there only was /dev/sr?).
> >
> > there is sd*, st*, sg*, so what is wrong with sr* or good with scd* ??
> >

> I see scsi disk*, scsi tape*, scsi generic*. What's scsi r*. It makes
> more sense to me if it's scsi cd*.

'r' is for ROM (or Readonly) (optical readonly scsi media ID, see
TYPE_ROM in include/scsi/scsi.h).

same as we don't use /dev/shd*, /dev/scd* just breaks naming scheme
even if there would be no direct relation of 'r' to some magic meaning...

> Anybody read Anvlin's note?

which one? either I haven't seen it yet in this thread (some mails take days
to make it us in germany:( or I haven't saved it...

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\