Re: Memory Management (was Re: [2.1.37] locks too)

Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 30 May 1997 18:14:19 -0700

Benjamin C R LaHaise said:

> On Fri, 30 May 1997, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> There are 2 major sources of locks in 2.1 caused by running out of memory
> right now. The patch applied to mm/vmscan.c in 2.1.33 is completely
> broken -- kswapd will eat all CPU time when the system runs out of
> memory, instead of allowing the next (user) process that askes for a page
> to be killed (kswapd has real time priority). Secondly, the new buffer
> cache code doesn't seem to be triggering writes quickly enough. Right
> now I'm trying to find some sort of clean way of handling low memory
> situations.

/*
Good to see this is being tracked down!

Given your analysis of the hard lock, could the following code fragment be
of use in keeping recent kernels alive, at least until things are fixed?

[Use at your own risk!!]

*/

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sched.h>
main() { struct sched_param s; s.sched_priority=0;
puts(sched_setscheduler(3, SCHED_OTHER, &s) ? "did you run it as root?" : "looks good, bye");
}
/*

--
    _ ____  Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
 ___| |---       Deranged College Student